Friday, September 11, 2009

Cat Gook, Constipation, and MegaColon

As we always worked to create the most welcoming and friendly environments at The Cat Hospitals of Denver, some times we would try things that truly elevated our standards of appearance. This time it was my turn.
I have worn a jacket style white doctor's coat for almost all of my veterinary career. At the peak of our excellence, I thought I would change to the higher standard of full length white lab coat, white shirt, and tie. I realized though that this higher standard gave my clients the impression that I was no longer there to treat their kitties. The realization became the most clear when one of my best clients, Liz Sexton, told me I looked too fancy now to be dealing with cat gook! Liz was right, and I was happy to give up the long sleeved coat and shirt and tie, to get back to my more functional white jackets.
Some of the worst cat gook came with cats who got constipated. Cats are a desert animal and they extract most of the water out of their stools before they evacuate them. Some cats are a little too good at this water extraction and end up frequently constipated. The worst and most chronic cases get Megacolon, a disease condition where the large intestine stretches out so much that it can no longer contract.
The worst part for me was I was the guy who got to perform the "digital enemas" to relieve this obstipation condition. With the cat sedated, KY Jelly and a rubber-gloved hand, had to carefully dig out the impacted and obstructed stools from these poor kitties rears. No fun, but the treatment was simple and effective.
Fortunately for my patients too, I was one of very few veterinarians who knew how to perform a sub-total cholectomy surgery that removes most of the large intestine and cures the megacolon and obstipation (constipation to the point of obstruction) condition. These cases were wonderful referrals to me as the results were immediate, curative, and permanent! With the stretched out bowel segment removed, these cats never got constipation again, but had generally soft and mushy stools.
For the less severe cases, stool softeners and a high fiber diet can prevent and treat constipation in cats. The x-ray above shows a picture of a constipated cat with megacolon. For those of you looking to make yourself a career in veterinary medicine, be prepared to deal with a lot of cat gook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ExitJunction.com  - Make Money From Your Exit Traffic!